Monday, October 13, 2008

Tag tutorial

HI everyone, I have spent the morning making tags for my Paper Artsy christmas class and thought I would throw in a little tutorial. Please leave a comment and I will pick one at random for a prize. The prize will be a selection of Paper Artsy and 7gypsies goodies. Enjoy yourself playing and I will try to do more later in the week



These are the materials I have used.



Creative Imaginations tag book - Gerri
Ranger Adirondack inks - bottle, clover, watermelon, cranberry
Ranger Archival Ink - library green
Paper Artsy stamps - Noel plates 2 + 6, mini 39
Blonde moments stamps - Just plain xmas
Tim Holtz ideaology hitch fasteners
7gypies gem brads, red label holders,red round photo turns
7gypsies Hudson Valley papers
Ranger glossy accents, Holly stickles, cut n dry foam
B/M water spritzer
Small circle punch

step1
take a creative imaginations small tag book and cut into separate tags.


Step2
using a piece of cut n dry foam apply clover Adirondack ink to the middle of one edge and the top and bottom of the other edge. Apply ink gently in a circular motion to eliminate harsh edges.



Step3
Apply bottle Adirondack ink to the remaining areas in the same style.



step4
Take the watermelon Adirondack ink over the top of the bottle ink.



step5
Flick water over tag + leave to settle for approx 10 seconds



Step6
Dab with kitchen roll to remove ink



Step7
This leaves a nice scrummy variegated background



Step8
Ink pine cone stamp (Paper Artsy Noel plate 2)with bottle Adirondack ink and stamp down the right side and bottom of tag


Step9
tear a strip of 7gypsies paper. Ink the edges with clover ink and add to tag, covering the hole.





Step10
Ink a piece of card with watermelon and cranberry Adirondack inks as before. Flick with water and dab with kitchen roll.

Step11
Ink bauble stamp (Paper Artsy Noel plate 6) with library green archival inks onto the red background. ( you need to use archival as we are going to be adding glossy accents later and dont want the image to run)



Step12
cutout image and mount onto green shimmer card.


step 13
make a hole in the tag whereyou would like the bauble to hang and attach it with a hitch fastener so that it swings freely



Step 14
sand edges of tag and ink with bottle Adirondack inks



Step15
ink background stamp (Paper Artsy Mini 39) with library green ink and stamp onto remaining red inked card.



Step16
punch 3 circles out, ink edges and stick onto 3 7gypies photo turns.



Step17
add to tag with 7gypsies gem brads



step18
cover back of tag with 7gypsies papers. Sand and ink edges with bottle Adirondack ink. Ink B?M pick stamp with clover and stamp around edges of tag



Step19
cut a square of the red stamped card big enough to fit into a 7gypsies red label holder and attach to top of front of tag.



Step 20

add glossy accents to bauble and the 3 photo turns



Step21
add holly stickles to pine cones and let dry.




enjoy and dont forget to post a comment!!

35 comments:

angie's blogspot said...

woah, these are really cool, just given me some inspiration, thankyou

Jayne C said...

I love this tag, Dyan....and as for your instructions....it's like you're right there next to me!!! Can't wait to get started!!

Elaine said...

Wow!! I had forgotten how fantastic the techniques were from when we did them at a class last year and how good they look when finished - it made me get all my things out ready to make cards/tags for Christmas!
You are just an inspirational goddess....x

scrappa jack said...

Great stamps and great technique.
Love the photo turns at the bottom of the tag.
Thanks for yesterday. Had a lovely day.
I am going to try and email the link to the bag website.
jackie

chrisg said...

Thanks again Dyan - just starting out on the Altered Art journey and your instructions on you blog (and those in Craft Stamper) are easy to follow and very effective - KTF - Chris Granelli (nelli)

Bobs said...

Oooooh - I like this a whole lot .... and more!

Thanks for this technique, Dyan. I'll definitely have a go!

P.S. No shoes today? :)

xx

danemi1 said...

This looks a whole lotta fun and very festive too!!!

Thanks

Elaine

fperkins said...

Hi Dyan, another great idea that you've shared with us. But I see you are expanding the range of stickles you are using!! Ranger will be so happy with you!

AnneJ said...

Lovely. Great instructions, I feel the need to go and make some right now.
Thank you Dyan.

Sarah McCrossan said...

These techniques are just soooo flippin great, just this one wee tag has stired my creative side no end.
I'm now running (kinda) to lock myself in my messy yet cozy craft room and give these a go.

Well done Mrs. Genuis, your fab!

Inspired as always, S xxx

Helen xx said...

wowser! can see why you have the ranger senior educator title! That is a lovely Tag! dreaming of having the skills to recreate!

Marie R said...

Am really loving this Dyan! The stamps are gorgeous, well, you know me and stamps, just have to have!!! I'll have to get Angela to have a look you know what she is like about all things inky, the messier the better. As for Deborah tearing paper she'd have a heart attack!!!!

We all send our love to you all and are saving like mad to get to another class, but that big money 'sapper' Christmas is just around the corner, don't you just love it?!!!

Elaine said...

Love the tags and the christmassy colours! Must get out my inks and have a play. Thanks for the inspiration.

thekathrynwheel said...

OOOh lovely. I haven't used my Adirondacks for ages but you've given me the inspiration to put my Claudine Hellmuth paints down for a while...! Kate

Unknown said...

Love this Dy ! Guess what I will be doing when I next have time off??? Loved the workshop yesterday too and Elaines scrummy cake mmmm x Janet Skipton

thekathrynwheel said...

Oooh lovely. I haven't used my Adirondacks for a while but you've given me inspiration to put my Claudine Hellmuth paints down for a while....! Kate

Unknown said...

Dyan, You inspire me so much, I just wish I had more time and was less hard on myself to get things looking right. Your attitude towards the art and crafts is fab and I hope it rubs off on me! I can't wait to book my next class, I just wish I lived closer to your workshop! I'm off now to try my own version of this product.

Scrapowl said...

Aww Dyan, you didn't have to do this just for me after I bought the Noel stamps and fixed your timeout! Now how am I going to tile my roof (a la 100 hearts)when I want to fit in having a go at this too??!! Thx for your inspiration! Raine

Lynn said...

Great tutorial must have a go. Thanks Dyan

Unknown said...

Hi Dyan,
Thankyou for sharing this yet again. Lurve this tag. And nice timing as i bought a few of these products recently so no excuses not to get cracking.Cant wait for my next class.
Steph

Caroline Lovett said...

Gorgeous I love the tag, it's inspired me to make individual ones for my Christmas pressies. I love the spruce and bauble stamps can feel a purchase coming on .....

Michelle Green said...

And where are the shoes?????

Tags look fabby, wonder if i can convince my mum that she really wants to do this for my wedding save the date cards! lol

Mush
xx

Cath said...

Thanks for the instructions they look so easy to follow. Going to give this a try.

Unknown said...

Wow,what a lovely tag....I was looking for inspiration and something new (to me) and found it here. thanks so much, I have never used those inks or done anything using that technique before but now by seeing the results and the fun way the water changed the inking I feel I must have a try myself. are there any more tutorials using this technique? I would love to learn more, also can you give me a little advise on what I need to go and buy to start myself off?
thanks again for a really clear tutorial, I am so glad I found this blog
Teresa

Dylan said...

Hi Teresa thanks for your comments and enthusiasm. If you email me at artfromtheheartuk@yahoo.co.uk then I can reply to you in more depth. Hope thats ok

Trace Dee said...

Dyan this is fantastic. lots if brilliant ideas and insperation. thank you

simple~needs said...

now that tag rocks!!
i found you just surfing the web looking for christmas ideas!!
your blog is great and so inspirational!!

borgqueen said...

Hey babe, fab tag and fabulous next lot of classes- sneeked a peek whilst in the studio / shop this eve shopping for fabby 7 gypsies, ranger and blonde moments stuff. When can I move in?!!! Xx

Melius 11 said...

Wow - truly inspired as always. Need to get crafting, right now.
thanks. Love the tutorial too, with photo back up, just perfect.
Lisa x

Unknown said...

Excellent and inspirational tag - as usual. Love the circles at the bottom of the tag.

Jan

Calv said...

Great step by step Dyan.....will be trying this over the next few days. Some great results there from everyone, it's a big help seeing what materials you used. Thanks. :)

Jozza said...

Fab tutorial! Thanks so much :o)

My mojo is missing at present so this has given me much needed inspiration!

xxx

Juliet said...

This is stunning Dyan - I will definately give this a try! Thanks for the inspiration and hopefully see you on Sunday!!!
Juliet xx

Unknown said...

Wow - lovely tags! The tutorial idea is great too - thanks Dyan - us Southerners cannot always get up to Harrogate so it's really useful!!! Very blingy tags - with STICKLES! Have you become a convert!!??

Sam said...

Thanks for sharing, its nice to see you and Tim's tutorials using the Ranger products.

Do Ranger make you guys do this a set way? Either way, the tag is cool.

Quote of the Century


"You are an extraordinary woman.


How can you expect anything ordinary to happen to you"


Louisa May Alcott