Saturday, February 28, 2009

Step by step journal pages.

I've been in my home studio today just messing with my journal, so thought I would show you a step by step . This is what I created today, it didn't turn out like I thought it would but then nothing ever does lol.

I started with my favourite pages of recycled newspaper with a generous coat of Gesso. This makes the paper less absorbent which is perfect because I wanted a really muted look.

I coloured the pages with Scattered Straw Distress ink applied with a piece of Cut n Dry foam.

I then randomly applied ghost mask letters from Tim Holtzs Idea-ology range all over the pages.

I then applied Spiced Marmalade Distress ink, over the mask letters.


I then added Fired Brick Distress ink to areas.

I lightly spritzed the pages with water.

And removed some of the ink with scrunched up paper towel.

My favourite stamp of the moment, Slight Alterations was inked with Jet Black Archival ink and stamped around the edges.

The masks were removed to reveal the background underneath, and I framed all the edges with Red Pepper Adirondack Paint Dabber.

I wrote my words directly onto the pages.

and outlined the important ones in red.

And here's the final piece. I will probably go back and add more on later. I am not happy with it, but it says just want I want it to at the moment!! And I feel that its important to know that. Sometimes the doing is more therapeutic than the end result,

Love it when I am covered in ink. I am such a mucky pup.

I then decided to do a similar layout in the Round the World Journal. This time I wanted the look to be a lot stronger so I applied the inks to card.



That is probably the fastest turnaround of a circle journal I have ever done. Received Weds, first set of pages finished yesterday, second set finished today, sorted and on its way by Monday.
Tomorrow is the regular Art Journals class in the studio, so there will be lots of creativity flying around, messy hands galore, lots of tears no doubt but also lots of joy and laughter. And with any luck if Jeanne (the chocolate lady) turns up , lots of chocolate. Yayy!!!! If you fancy joining us please feel free to turn up, no experience necessary, just a big heart and a sense of humour.!!

9 comments:

crimsoncat05 said...

found your blog thru The Kathryn Wheel... love your journal pages! I just bought those Tim Holtz letter masks, but haven't used them yet- it's neat to see your pages with them!

thekathrynwheel said...

Can't wait, can't wait, can't wait :-) Ooh, look! I've just spotted the first comment. Glad to have been some use! See ya tomorrow

Carole Bryson said...

Great heartfelt journalling Dy and fabby fabby pages !

Thinking of ya sweetie xx

Traceyr said...

Brilliant step by step information there Dyan - now going to give it a go.

:)

Kirsti said...

These tutorials are great... Have just found a fabby book to use as a journal and I have some Tim Holtz masks too... already started priming the covers... See ya...x

Diana Trout {Nan.DT@verizon.net} said...

Beautiful work! thanks for the inspiration.

CK Chai said...

thanks for sharing, love your tutorial!

Anonymous said...

I have not had the experience of masking paper, let alone recycling newspaper for a journal but both of those ideas appeal to me so I think I am going to try them right now!

Sonia said...

Hello
Thanks for sharing this step by step. I searching about art journal theme and add you link to more inspirational link that I found.
Beautiful and inspirational Art Journal Ideas.
I'm your follower.
-Sony
http://sonia-studio60.blogspot.com

*I want to start my art journal soon*

Quote of the Century


"You are an extraordinary woman.


How can you expect anything ordinary to happen to you"


Louisa May Alcott