Sunday, July 18, 2010

Hidden sculpture...

Had a fabby weekend with The Babe, as usual...I was barred from going anywhere near work whilst he was here, lol, and you know what, I didn,t miss it one bit..!!! I know, I know, that comes as a real shock to you all, but maybe I am finally learning that there is more to life than work..!!!!

Friday was dancing the night away at a Northern Soul do, always a good start to the weekend... But on Saturday we decided to escape from it all and get away to the country for a bit. We tipped up at Newby Hall and went for a walk through the woods. Halfway round we discovered a sculpture exhibition was on, in the middle of the woods. How cool was that..???  This was our favourite piece.  Yup giant conkers. These were absolutely gorgeous, and for a spare £6000 you can have them in your garden, lol.


How about a game with this one..??? Wonder if it's been soaked in vinegar.


How could we have resisted..???



The Babe wasted no time in making new friends..!!!


I just had to get a picture of this door. It was originally from a prison in 1724, and was the cell door of a local highwayman and local baddie. It brought a few shivers whilst wondering how the frikk anyone could have survived behind it. Loving the stone skull.


There was another sculpture exhibition going on at the same time, The Matombo Zimbabwean Sculpture Ezperienc.  oops that should say experience, but link already done, lol.

This was amazing. Skilled sculptors from Zimbabwe are here displaying, selling and making their art, from various types of Zimbabwean stone, including, serpentine, cobalt, opal, verdite, springstone, fruit serpentine and African jade.


this weeks shoe watch. !!


This was one of my faves...


and heres one of the artists at work. Hewas lovely and chatted to us for ages, about his home life and his work. He was even giving me tips for my dreads, ;lol.


You can even join in the fun and do a bit of the sculpting yourself, or the cleaning and polishing, whichever takes your fancy.

The night was ended perfectly with a trip to our favourite Mexican, Salsa Posada, where we were expertly waited upon by The Goddess, in her evening alias..

Sunday started with a trip to The Gift Fair, where we were oohing and aaaahing over some fabby additionsto the shop...Want to know what...?? Ha ha.....as if..!!!  We then spent the afternoon erecting a wigwam, bouncing on the trampoline, hula hooping, flicking sticky bugs, poking things with sticks and playing I-Spy. Yup you've guessed it, we were in charge of The Most Beautiful Grandaughter in the Whole World..!!!

And then, all too soon, it was time for The Babe to return home before he turned into a pumpkin, lol. Never mind, only 4 more sleeps..!

Tomorrow is the next Altered Originals Spray Ink Art Journal page step by step. So keep an eye out for it.

Enjoy xx

8 comments:

thekathrynwheel said...

Ha ha! I want giant conkers in my garden!! This all looks like too much fun :-)

Unknown said...

Did you buy the conkers as a gift for me then???? Huh???? Did you????

Kirsti said...

Sounds like just my kinda weekend..not like the one I just had slobbing around in my PJs...lm(ws)ao... 8 more sleeps til Disney!!!! Have a fab weekend...

Siobhan Brignull said...

that sounds like a fab weekend and I love seeing sculptures in wooded areas, now I dont mean to be nosey but I need to know more about the babe. . . so spill it please

Sandra Hall said...

...now I'm smiling day and night ' cos I'm Happy, I'm so happy...
lyrics came to mind seeing these 'photos of you and the Babe!
That door is awesome - hope it will be put to use on some journal page...?
Missed you Saturday night at Taddy... x x x

Virginia said...

I love sculpture exhibitions - creativity in the raw being shared - absolutely awesome, I'm so loving the fact you're having a life other than work and long may it continue - having a little bit of you to yourself not sharing must be completely relaxing! Hope you and the babe had a fabulous weekend! Hugs

Virginia

PS Thank you for the comments on Mel's photos - it will boost her when she most needs it - but you knew that any way!

Ever bigger hubs

Diane said...

Sounds like you had a brill weekend, Dyan and may you have many more!
Diane x

Liverpool Lou (Anne) said...

Ah sounds like a fabulous weekend Dyan :-) Love the conkers and the African sculptures.
Anne xx

Quote of the Century


"You are an extraordinary woman.


How can you expect anything ordinary to happen to you"


Louisa May Alcott