Monday, March 30, 2015

Today is World Bipolar day...

This extract is from the website, International Society for Bipolar disorders

World Bipolar Day

World Bipolar Day (WBD) will be celebrated each year on March 30th, the birthday of Vincent Van Gogh, who was posthumously diagnosed as probably having bipolar disorder.  The vision of WBD is to bring world awareness to bipolar disorders and eliminate social stigma. Through international collaboration the goal of World Bipolar Day is to bring the world population information about bipolar disorders that will educate and improve sensitivity towards the illness

and there is some fabulous stuff, for those who are interested, on the Facebook page World Bipolar Day.
The aim of this is to stop the stigma of mental illness.
Mental illness is nothing to be ashamed of and neither is talking about it.
One of the many mental illness I have is Bipolar.
I have rapid cycling Bipolar, which means I am very rarely down but frequently manic. It is hard living with it and harder for those who have to live with me. But it is a massive part of me, in fact I would say it is probably the main part of me. It is as essential to the whole of me as my right arm. We are one, part of the same package and I wouldn't change it for the world. It is the birthplace of all my creativity...
I am sure you all know the old saying
"There's a fine line between madness and creativity"..
Well I have walked that line many a time and teetered on it too many times to mention, lol.
 I choose to celebrate my mental illness as its made the woman I am, and I fought long and hard to become that woman.
So today I raise my glass to all of you walking, or indeed, manically running, this journey with me.
I salute you one and all xx



23 comments:

Nancy said...

All that makes us who we are is to be embraced.

Sue said...

(((Dyan))) we love you!

Pkozak said...

Whatever makes you, you, please now that you are loved, respected, appreciated and admired by millions of us!! Just Me, Pat.....

Salomé said...

I didn’t know about this world bipolar day but it’s a really good idea ! I understand what you mean when you say it’s a part of you and I’m sure although all the difficulties this illness gives, all the people around you and who meet you love you the way you’re ! I can’t pretend to know what’s living with this illness but I’m suffering from anxiety and it’s really hard to deal with it and although I accepted it, I’m always afraid other people don’t accept it or don’t understand. I admire you for being so proud of being who you are !

Dara Lynn said...

Here! Here! sweet love!!!!!

Tari Kendall said...

I knew there was a reason I really liked your work and you. Thanks for sharing and making me feel better about my own manic-depressed world. I raise my glass to you!!

Greta said...

Thank you for sharing your color and making the world less grey!!

Ruby Craft said...

I didn't know today was World Bipolar day, but now I do. Think I'll give someone a call and let her know I'm thinking of her. I love her so and this has been a struggle for her. You are a wonderful, sweet and caring person. Thanks for sharing this.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for this post-from someone who's son struggles with mental illness.

Caroline D. said...

.... and you are magnificent just the way you are!

Sharon Y said...

Thank You for sharing this. It's important! I admire your willingness to share this message.

Unknown said...

Cheers & Clink, Clink, indeed!! I LOVE who you are and hope to meet you in person one day!! XOXO-Shari

Unknown said...

Love your honesty and creativity. I have lived with the "shame" of my bipolar (soft BP 2) for about 20yrs.
I am sure my creativity is born of my illness. I have for the past 5 years been acknowledging, talking about and sharing my illness , in the hope that it will help others. I have realised that the shame was not mine, but my parents. I am who I am, and BP is part of it, like it or lump it xxx Keep on creating Dyan, you shine through your art!!!

Karen said...

So proud of you Dyan! I have the exact same thing as you and have walked the line as well and then some. Some of the best musicians, artists, comedians, actors and Dr's for that matter are bipolar. I always have to look at the fact that 1 in 5 people and now it might be 4 have some kind of mental illness. Kuddo's to you Dyan and now I really have to meet you one day soon :) Now I understand why I am so attracted to your bright and colourful work :)

Angeline Choo said...

Love you Dyan ! Stay the way you are coz you are so precious

Scrapin'Sue said...

Your creativity is so inspiring. Having had one manic time in my life (mixed with lots of depression), I can relate to some of what you experience. I know that it was VERY hard on my family during the time that I was manic. I would imagine that it is quite the balancing act for a person who rapidly cycles. Thanks for bringing awareness to the mental illness.

Toni Hinchcliffe said...

"Normal" is highly overrated, Dyan! We love you just the way you are! Thanks for sharing your "madness" and creativity with us and for opening the door for the rest of us to express our own unique selves as well! You rock!

Stephanie said...

And to you too!

Unknown said...

Dyan, just I LOVE YOU!! Greetings from Uruguay!!!!!!

Carol McCready said...

Happy WBP day! I think you are absolutely perfect.

Unknown said...

there is a lot of us out there getting by every day with 'mental health problems' - I am loud and proud these days

Dorothy Kovak said...

How wonderfully brave and refreshing of you to celebrate yourself and what makes you 'you'. I love your style and creativity. I only just recently found your YouTube channel and have enjoyed all I've seen so far. This is my first time on your blog. I followed the link from Atr to the Fifth. I'm so encouraged by your honesty and hope some day to be as brave as you.

Unknown said...

I lost my brother 11 years ago to suicide. He was Bipolar. I too struggle with treatment resistant depression and anxiety.
Thank you for being so brave and courageous. I fight everyday to stay well. Sometimes it is exhausting. However I have found relief through art and have so enjoyed your products and demos. Thank you for being you and for sharing your creative genius. Kudos to all who fight to stay well, we must support one other and stand strong against the stigma of mental illness.

Quote of the Century


"You are an extraordinary woman.


How can you expect anything ordinary to happen to you"


Louisa May Alcott